Re: BIND/DNS Version check

From: Nexus (nexusat_private-way.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 10:43:02 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Asim Shaikh" <wezmasterat_private>

    [snip]

    > I would like to know if there is any tool out there which can check for
    > version of BIND/DNS running on the server.. or a scanner which can scan
    for
    > the possible BIND/DNS vulnerabilites..
    >
    > I would like to know tools available on both paltform *nix and also Win32.

    You can use nslookup or dig, one or both of which will usually be on either
    Win32 or *NIX.
    nslookup -q=txt -class=chaos version.bind ns0.example.com or
    dig @ns0.example.com -c chaos version.bind txt
    and look at http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html for any
    results you get.

    Cheers.

    Costs are climbing and complaints are rising
    as SPAM overloads your e-mail servers and Inboxes
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam & viruses
    and gives you the reports to prove it.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-pen-test2
    Download a free trial and see just
    what's going in and out of your organization.