LC4 (L0phtCrack) error "Couldn't open SAM\Domains\Account\Users in SAM file. Possibly improper format."

From: flexicon33at_private
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 21:24:31 PDT

    Hi,
    I'm trying to import some SAM files into LC4, and for some reason LC4
    doesn't like the format. I get the above error for any of 5 SAM files I'm
    trying.

    For a pen test, I got these sam files by senging a 'tptp put' command to
    the SQL server (had no 'sa' password) so the SAM files were sent to my tftp
    server. There were 5 of these servers, so I got 5 SAM files to try. LC4
    doesn't like any of them.

    However, LC4 works for other SAM files... I tested with my own SAM file
    (w2k) and also another I downloaded from a machine via an http exploit...
    LC4 had no problems opening those 2 and working on them.

    Why does LC4 complain about these other SAM files? Does some other sam
    format exist or did they get mangled somehow?
    Thanks...
    Flexicon33, CISSP

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-pen-test