Re: Strange service on Port 5656

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 07:08:37 PDT

  • Next message: MACRIDES,NATHAN (HP-Australia,ex3): "RE: LC4 (L0phtCrack) error "Couldn't open SAM\Domains\Account\Use rs in SAM file. Possibly improper format.""

    Craig,

    >> When I enter something at this prompt the
    >> connection is closed immediately.
    >That response is clearly characteristic of rootkit
    backdoors.

    Can you elaborate?  I'm more familiar w/ Windows
    systems, but given what little information has been
    provided, I'm wondering what it is that you're seeing
    that leads to this conclusion.

    >> Nessus detects this service as time server, can
    anyone confirm/ deny that?
    >I have never heard of a time daemon using this port
    for anything. If the
    >banner it yields resembles that of a time server, it
    may cause nessus to
    >report it as such. The fact that it does doesn't
    really prove anything, as it
    >is also a common tactic to make a rootkit yield a
    known banner in order to subvert suspicion.

    This statement leads me to ask my question again...how
    is it that you know, without more information, that
    this system has been compromised?

    I would have suggested further activities, such as
    running lsof or fuser on the system, to find the
    path/name of the executable image that's bound to that
    port.

    Thanks,

    Harlan

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-pen-test