Loose source routing for remote host discovery

From: Oliver Enzmann (oliverat_private)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 07:02:12 PDT

    Hello,

    I need to discover hosts and services on remote subnets using nmap or similar.
    However, routes to/from some of these subnets have local significance only
    and are therefore not redistributed into the global routing tables. The lack
    of complete routing tables obviously causes end-to-end layer 3 connectivity
    and scanning of these subnets to fail.

    What I need is a way to use loose source routing in combination with nmap -
    a way to mangle packets and add loose source routing information to the IP
    options before nmap's packets are sent out to the wire.

    I've looked at netcat (-g option to add source routing information ) but I
    would prefer to use nmap for the actual scanning. Also, hping2-rc2 seems to
    support source routing but I haven't tried it yet mainly because nmap is the
    tool of choice.

    This is on Linux with kernel 2.4. Netfilter or iproute2 tricks would be
    definite possibilities.

    TIA, Oliver
    --
    Unix is sexy: "unzip", "strip", "touch", "mount", "sleep".

    Did you know that you have VNC running on your network?
    Your hacker does.
    Plug your security holes.
    Download a free 15-day trial of VAM:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/StillSecure-pen-test