Re: Where is a Free Copy of ISO17799?

From: Stephen Smoogen (smoogenat_private)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 12:30:01 PDT

    Sadly, most industry standards have always been purchase only. It is
    normally meant to be a revenue mechanism for the standards body so that
    it can be somewhat 'independant' of sponsors.

    On Fri, 9 May 2003, Richard Ginski wrote:

    >Since many pen tests/vulnerability assessments can be based on
    >ISO17799, I am asking this list for information.
    >
    >I have looked all over for a copy of this "industry standard". The only
    >places I have found it offered is where it is offered as a
    >purchase....along with a toolkit. Seems to me that if you have an
    >"industry standard' it should be freely available so that "industry"
    >can follow it. Otherwise, if the only means to obtain the standard is
    >by purchasing, it should be considered a proprietary work and not an
    >"industry standard".  (my .02)
    >
    >I am only interest in downloading/reading the standard. Can someone
    >please provide a link to where the standard is freely downloadable?
    >Thanks in advance.

    >Did you know that you have VNC running on your network?
    >Your hacker does.
    >Plug your security holes.
    >Download a free 15-day trial of VAM:
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/StillSecure-pen-test

    Stephen John Smoogen            smoogenat_private
    Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
    Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545