Pen testing a CVS server

From: Bugsy (bugsy9999at_private)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 07:17:09 PDT

    Hi,

    Im pentesting a server, which is running CVSpserver. I
    have gone through the CVS documentation and read other
    posts on securityfocus mailing lists. I am listing
    below what I have done so far, and would like to know
    if there is anything else that can be done with this.

    First, trying to login to the pserver with the
    command:

    cvs -d :pserver:rootat_private:/wrong/cvs/root
    login
    yields the information, of whether the repository is
    correct or not. Enumerating this, I have found the
    correct repository.

    Enumerating usernames:
    cvs -d :pserver:luserat_private:/wrong/cvs/root
    login
    Tells me whether luser exists on the server or not. I
    get luser: no such user if its a non-existent
    username.

    Checking passwords
    cvs -d :pserver:rootat_private:/wrong/cvs/root
    login
    Tells me if i got the root password right or not.

    Is there anything else that can be done. More
    specifically, is there some way to find out the
    version of the CVS server, without being able to
    login.

    Also, now that CVS server is that popular, shouldn't
    they build in basic security measures such as giving
    the same failure message whether the username,
    password or repository is wrong?

    -Bugsy

    http://search.yahoo.com