Re: Network Mapping/Discovery

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino (jfernandezat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 00:49:04 PDT

    Mark Squire wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I thought Cheops would do this, but it doesn't do as well as I thought.
    > I want to find out what computers are connected to which switches.  I
    > don't care if it tells me what type of switch it is, but accurately tell
    > me what IP addresses are hanging off it.  Is there a mapping software
    > out there that will discover this stuff?

    Yes. The usual network management software such as HP Openview's Network
    Node Manager, Aprisma's Spectrum. Quite expensive, though. I have not
    used Nagios [1] for network discovery in this respect but it just might
    have a plugin to represent a network in the way you require. Nedi [2],
    seems to do just this (check out the 'simulation' in the link below) but
    I have not tested in a pen-test environment yet (it probably needs the
    SNMP communities to retrieve the information from switches and routers)

    Regards

    Javi

    [1] www.nagios.org
    [2] http://nedi.web.psi.ch/