Re: Network Mapping/Discovery

From: Mathias Wegner (mwegnerat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 09:14:30 PDT

    > Yes. The usual network management software such as HP Openview's Network
    > Node Manager, Aprisma's Spectrum. Quite expensive, though. I have not
    > used Nagios [1] for network discovery in this respect but it just might
    > have a plugin to represent a network in the way you require. Nedi [2],

    Another NMS option is OpenNMS.  I've never used it, but it is
    HPOV/Spectrum like, and it does do auto-discovers.  One thing to note -
    if you are using an NMS tool like this for pen-testing, they are not very
    subtle in their network discoveries, and they'll end up logged
    everywhere.  Also, for good maps using NMSes, you'll probably need
    read-only community names, since the best maps use forwarding tables to
    determine connections.

    mathias