Re: SV: Honeypot detection and countermeasures

From: daveat_private
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 07:44:33 PDT

    Well, that's a great way to think about it - as a test of your
    countermeasures. In fact, there are MANY ways to both remotely and locally
    detect various breeds of honeypots. VMWare, for example, uses a particular
    range of MAC addresses, among other things. I always find it funny when
    people use VMWare as a security measure.

    But (imho) it's a truly RARE penetration test team that will notice some
    of these subtle things, and basically no pentration test teams can
    remotely discover a honeypot - the technology for doing so just isn't
    public enough yet. (Well, I just gave away that MAC address trick, but
    it's limited to the local net, and there are lots of other, better
    tricks).

    Dave Aitel
    Immunity, Inc.
    http://www.immunitysec.com/

    > But...the last thing, since that was commented (but was removed from the
    > thread I'm answering on). If you hire a company to do a pentest, of course
    > you don't tell them about your countermessaures. The pentest is the exam
    > for the system you have deployed, and the guys that tests you are the
    > examiners. The result from the pentest should/might include that, yes,
    > they found the honeypots, and it distracted them for some time before they
    > understood what they had hit (a honeypot is just another countermeassure),
    > and then the rest of the report comes.
    >
    > If you want to pentest a new service, then of course point them at that
    > service. If you want to pentest your company...then that's what you tell
    > them.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Trygve Aasheim
    > Manager, Network Security

    Latest attack techniques.

    You're a pen tester, but is google.com still your R&D team? Now you can get
    trustworthy commercial-grade exploits and the latest techniques from a
    world-class research group.

    Visit us at: www.coresecurity.com/promos/sf_ept1
    or call 617-399-6980