Re: Detecting DNS Servers

From: Michael Thumann (mlthumann@ids-guide.de)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 10:12:04 PDT

    Mike Schiffman explained  one way in his book 'Building Open Source Network
    Security Tools' . Some DNS Servers will send a version string back, if you
    send them a chaos class query, especially BIND servers support that and are
    configured to do so by default.

    cheers
    Michael

    At 10:22 11.07.2003 -0300, you wrote:
    >Hi,
    >

    >I need a help from the community.
    >At this moment I am reading papers from NIST and ISECOM (osstmm2.0).
    >I need to know the very best way to discover the versions of DNS
    >servers.
    >I need to write a paper about it.I all ready wrote something, but I need
    >to hear from everybody.
    >

    >Best Regards,
    >Rodrigo Ramos
    >http://www.spytket.com.br

    >The Lightning Console aggregates IDS events, correlates them with
    >vulnerability info, reduces false positives with the click of a button,
    >anddistributes this information to hundreds of users.
    >
    >Visit Tenable Network Security at http://www.tenablesecurity.com to learn
    >more.

    Michael Thumann        mlthumann@ids-guide       www.ids-guide.de
    Public Key available at http://www.ids-guide.de/MichaelThumann.asc
    The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
    and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location...and i'm not
    even too sure about that one
                                                                        --Dennis
    Huges, FBI.