Re: V/Scan for Wireless LANs

From: Ivan Arce (ivan.arceat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 16:09:56 PDT

    In the first issue (Jan-feb 2003) of the IEEE Security & Privacy magazine
    http://csdl.computer.org/comp/mags/sp/2003/01/j1toc.htm

    Nick Petroni and Will Arbaugh provide a quite detailed description of
    an active attack against WEP that provides full network access to the
    wireless LAN (both encryption and decryption) without knowledge of
    the secret key within a few hours. The attack takes advantage of the
    use of CRC-32 for packet integrity checks and the availability of
    known or easily predictable plainterxt in common network protocols like
    DHCP and ICMP.

    "The Dangers of Mitigating Security Design Flaws: A Wireless Case Study"
    Nick L. Petroni Jr. and William A. Arbaugh
    IEEE Security & Privacy magazine, Jan-Feb 2003, pp 28-36

    I dont know of any publicly available implementation of this attack but
    it is certainly a good starting point for those willing to code it :)

    -ivan

    ---
    Perscriptio in manibus tabellariorum est
    Noli me vocare, ego te vocabo

    Ivan Arce
    CTO
    CORE SECURITY TECHNOLOGIES

    46 Farnsworth Street
    Boston, MA 02210
    Ph: 617-399-6980
    Fax: 617-399-6987
    ivan.arceat_private
    www.coresecurity.com

    PGP Fingerprint: C7A8 ED85 8D7B 9ADC 6836  B25D 207B E78E 2AD1 F65A