Firewall assessment

From: Sasa Jusic (sjusicat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 07:18:09 PDT

    Hi everyone,

    This interesting discussion about firewall enumeration tools, made me ask
    one closely related question.

    I would like to know what are the usual steps when doing a pen test on the
    firewall?

    Besides looking for potential vulnerabilities in the actual firewall device
    (by running some of the vulnerability scanning tools like Nessus, ISS,
    Retina etc), I am also interested in other automated or manual tests which
    could be useful for finding other potential security weaknesses
    (configuration errors, VPN services etc.).

    I know that this is very general question, and that it depends on the
    situation and environment where the tests are made, but I would like to hear
    some general ideas and techniques from people with experience in this area.

    Thanks,

    Sasa Jusic
    e-mail:sasa.jusicat_private

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world<92>s premier
    technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
    Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
    Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6 Visit: www.blackhat.com