Re: Firewall assessment

From: Alvin Oga (alvin.secat_private-Consulting.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 08:55:11 PDT

    hi ya

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Sasa Jusic wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >

    > This interesting discussion about firewall enumeration tools, made me ask
    > one closely related question.
    >
    > I would like to know what are the usual steps when doing a pen test on the
    > firewall?

    http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Firewall/Testing/

    - lots of to dos .. and mostly manangement, security policy and
      enforcement

    > Besides looking for potential vulnerabilities in the actual firewall device
    > (by running some of the vulnerability scanning tools like Nessus, ISS,
    > Retina etc),

    after finding open ports .. find any new patches for the apps running
    on those ports

    > I am also interested in other automated or manual tests which
    > could be useful for finding other potential security weaknesses
    > (configuration errors, VPN services etc.).

    for the above ..
    	- use of same loginID for various services
    	( email, ssh, vpn, ppp, ... )

    	- use of bad ( easily guessed ) passwds

    	run your favorite passwd crackers
    	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Audit/Tools.pwd/

    c ya
    alvin

    > I know that this is very general question, and that it depends on the
    > situation and environment where the tests are made, but I would like to hear
    > some general ideas and techniques from people with experience in this area.

    FREE Trial!
    New for security consultants and in-house pros: FOUNDSTONE PROFESSIONAL
    and PROFESSIONAL TL software. Fast, reliable vulnerability assessment
    technology powered by the award-winning FoundScan engine. Try it free for  21 days at: http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Foundstone_pen-test_030825