Re: your mail

From: Jay (jayat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 15:54:59 PDT

    On Wed, 8 May 2002, Michael Scheidell wrote:

    > that wasn't the ip address o fthe access point, was it? that was for the
    > laptop on the wireless network, right?

    DOH! Thanks for bringing that up. I thought the open port count was
    awfully high, but I didn't think too much of it before firing off the
    email. :)  I did, in fact, have the wrong IP address and that port scan I
    sent was for a Windows box. Oops - sorry. :)

    Here is the *REAL* port scan of the Apple Airport Base Station
    (Version 1). I double-checked the IP this time.  :)

    TCP
    --
    Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
    All 65535 scanned ports on  (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) are: closed

    Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 15 seconds

    UDP
    --
    Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
    Interesting ports on  (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX):

    Thus, now seeing that output, we can determine that UDP/192 is for Apple's
    utility program to configure the device. For UDP/161, which is actually an
    SNMP service, the default read-only community string is 'public'.  Here is
    a partial output of an snmpwalk of the device:

    system.sysDescr.0 = Base Station V3.83 SN-PW117B5TH93 V3.73
    system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.762.2
    system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (43946737) 5 days, 2:04:27.37
    system.sysContact.0 = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    system.sysName.0 = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    system.sysLocation.0 =
    system.sysServices.0 = 2
    interfaces.ifNumber.0 = 3
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.1 = 1
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.2 = 2
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.3 = 3
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = AMD PCNetISA
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = WaveLAN/IEEE
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = V.90 Modem: APPLE VERSION 0007
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType.1 = ethernetCsmacd(6)
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType.2 = ethernetCsmacd(6)
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType.3 = propPointToPointSerial(22)

    This device has one 10Mb/s Ethernet interface, one 802.11b interface
    (40-bit WEP), and one v.90 modem interface -- all of which seem to be
    accurately represented as interfaces 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

    Hope this helps, and thanks again Michael for finding my lapse of sanity
    with my first posting about this. :)

    --
    ~Jay