Re: Service running...?

From: Renaud Deraison (deraisonat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 06:23:20 PDT

    On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:44:00PM +0200, Daniel VARGA wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am new on this list so if my question is not appropriate here, send me to
    > some RTFM (just tell me what to look for!) :)
    >
    > my Task:
    > I need to find out 3 things on my network:
    >   a) what computers are on my network I cannot log into with my
    > user/password (I am domain admin, so I should know about these systems;). I
    > need an alert in this case.

    Edit smb_login.nasl and modify the end of the script from :

     if(strlen(user_login))
        {
            if(v[9])
    	    {
    	        p[g_index]="****";
    	    }
       }

    to :

     if(strlen(user_login))
        {
            if(v[9])
    	    {
    	        p[g_index]="****";
    	    }
    	    else security_note(port:port, data:"Could not log into this system!");

       }

    >   b) on the computers I can log into, is the McShield service running?
    >   BONUS: c) are the DAT files up to date?
    >
    > Problem:
    > I have zero idea how to do a), any ideas are welcome
    > to b): I rewrote some default plugin so now I get an alert from Nessus if
    > the McShield is running. But I want an alert, if it is NOT running :) How?

    For (b), your code is nearly correct :

    > port = get_kb_item("SMB/transport");
    > if(!port)port = 139;
    >
    > services = get_kb_item("SMB/svcs");
    >
    > if(services)
    > {
    >  if("[McShield]" >< services)
    >     security_warning(port);
    > }

    You should change  'if("[McShield]" >< services)' to
    'if("[McShield]" >!< services)'.

    For your bonus question, it depends on the size of the .DAT files and
    their number. What I'd do would be to write a plugin which downloads one
    of them and compute its MD5 and compare it with the expected MD5.

    ie: Your plugin could be generated by a cronjob every 20mn and include
    the latest MD5 of the DAT file you want to compute.

    				-- Renaud