Re: Routing protocols

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 15:03:33 PDT

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Michel Arboi wrote:

    > Maybe 192.0.34.166 (= example.com) which BTW is _not_ part of test-net
    > (192.0.2.0) as the RFC said. or maybe an address in test-net?

    Hm, neither of them should be used by anyone (for anything important), so
    you can test either of them...or even both of them.

    > > Perhaps the infamous "link local" 169.254.0.0/16?
    > What's the use of this, exactly? I understood that it is a backup
    > address pool when no address has been set and no DHCP answers.

    A host can pick an address from this block and use it to talk to other
    hosts on the same LAN (that have picked their own address of this kind).
    The result is an "autoconfigured" isolated IP network. MS Windows boxes
    default to this (truly redmondian) mode of operation when they fail to
    obtain a DHCP lease.

    A nice property of these addresses (in the context of RIP testing) is that
    they are not supposed to be routable. On the other hand, the same property
    might cause false negatives and example.com or a similar block of "more
    innocent-looking addresses" might be a better choice.

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Michel Arboi wrote:

    > What about this:
    > - I set a route to example.com
    > - I remove it after the test.

    The bogus route should time out in a few minutes (the router has a BIG
    problem otherwise). I am not sure explicit removal will make it disappear
    considerably sooner (esp. in the case when the route would be propagated
    to other routers and esp).

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."