Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Richard Moore (rich@private)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 02:47:19 PST

    Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
    > Richard Moore wrote:
    >> That's very true, in fact there has been a long standing warning
    >> against the use of the GPL for documentation (which in a way this is).
    >> If you
    >

    > Where? I have never seen that and there's a lot of technical
    > documentation GPLd. As a matter of fact, when the code is GPLd it makes
    > all the sense to license its documentation GPLd since there might some
    > instances in which you are able to change the code but _not_ change the
    > documentation it comes along with.

    I remember there being a warning of issues regarding what is a derived
    work of the document. Specifically issues about using non-free fonts to
    print them.

    > One of the thing that most applies to reports generated by Nessus is the
    > "3. COPYING IN QUANTITY" clause.

    That clause only affects printed copies, and even then only if the prit
    run is > 100.

    > I wouldn't recommended GFDL for texts since:
    >
    > a) GPL and GFDL are inherently incompatible licenses (you cannot have
    > both in the same thing). And NASL scripts are, foremost, GPLd, that
    > includes the text within them.

    I've no idea about that.

    > b) GFDL is targeted towards complete works (books, articles and such)
    > and not text snippets. Many things don't really apply and might inhibit
    > use or make people violate it unknowingly.

    That is probably true.

    Cheers

    Rich.