Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino (jfernandez@private)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 00:26:03 PST

    Renaud Deraison wrote:

    > So what I want is to clear up the current grey area by writing a small
    > charter regarding the use of the Nessus reports :
    >
    > - Hardcopy of the reports are free of use (so that I can not ask Sybex
    >   to change a screenshot showing a report in a book published in 1999
    >   mentionning Nessus)

    Sounds good.

    > - Regarding electronic copies and redistribution, the author has the
    > right to ask modifications of his text or total removal, and the
    > organization/company redistributing the plugin has, say, 30 days, to
    > comply. Other than that, the reports are free of use and modifications.

    Doesn't look good to me, if you state you are the copyright holder
    then the above is taken for granted.

    I would just say:

    "Copyright notice:

    The generic technical text (explanations of vulnerabilities,
    mitigation facts and solutions) included in this report is copyrighted
    by their respective authors. When not explicitly said, the text
    included in this report is (c) Renaud Deraison.

    The copyright authors grant the user of the Nessus tool the right to
    freely use hardcopies of the reports generated by the tool, provided
    this copyright notice is not removed.

    The Nessus tool source code is distributed under the GNU GPL license,
    as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
    of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307,
    USA."

    That copyright statement pretty much says the above (and much more).
    It might be longer but it can just be a separate page in the report
    (final page). You could turn it into a small footer by removing the
    last two paragraphs, but IMHO having the GPL license statement in the
    reports is not at all bad.

    It also prevents rude people in the case you said the report is in the
    public domain from taking it, typing it down (i.e. hardcopy to
    digital) and then use the text to improve/make their vulnerability
    assesment engine/tool/service/whatever.

    BTW, I don't see this being done in some other (propietary) tools
    (checked ISS only, IIRC Cybercop didn't do it either), so maybe we're
    going overboard :-)

    Regards

    Javi