Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 17:01:29 PST

    On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 01:36:17AM +0100, Pavel Kankovsky wrote:
    > In fact, I could take a report, replace all the "copyrighted strings" with
    > references to Nessus plugins (e.g. 7th string in blabla.nasl, revision
    > 1.23), and give it to anyone together with a GPLed program including the
    > source code of those plugins and reassembling the original text of the
    > report.

    Agreed. Then you won't be distributing the report itself and the guy who
    will use your program to re-assemble the report will still end up with a
    text file whose ownership is undefined at this time.

    [...]
    > The second choice might make some sense for plugins where the wording of
    > the output makes a substantial part of their "value". The program is
    > GPLed, ergo its output, as a derived work of the code, should be GPLed as
    > well. Of course, the application of GPL to a piece of text is somewhat
    > tricky but it is possible:

    No that's why GNU came up with the GNU FDL. The GPL covers things such
    as linking, binary distribution and other stuff that don't apply to a
    text file, which is why I started the issue initially and why I just
    want to clarify what people can and can not do on a Nessus report (ie:
    remove authorship info and add "Here is what I found").

    I asked an intellectual propery lawyer to look at this issue, we will
    see what he comes up with.

    				-- Renaud