Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peak@private)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 16:36:17 PST

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Renaud Deraison wrote:

    > There are some confusion about the copyright ownership of a Nessus
    > report. When you think about it, a Nessus report is like a book
    > regarding the security of your network, and as with every book, there
    > are limitations to what you can do with it.

    Unlike a book, Nessus report is an output of a program.

    In particular, it is an output of a GPLed program. I find it absurd to
    make the conditions for an output (or portions of it) more restrictive
    than the conditions for the program itself (traditional copyright vs.
    GPL).

    In fact, I could take a report, replace all the "copyrighted strings" with
    references to Nessus plugins (e.g. 7th string in blabla.nasl, revision
    1.23), and give it to anyone together with a GPLed program including the
    source code of those plugins and reassembling the original text of the
    report. Or I could even record all responses of tested hosts (and the rest
    of the environment, e.g. clocks, PRNGs) together with a copy of Nessus
    (perhaps with some patches to make "playback" possible), and anyone
    would be able to "replay" the test using the recorded data, and get the
    same report.

    This leaves two other choices regarding the authorship of a Nessus report:
    1. The report is owned by whoever ran the program.
    2. The report is a derived work of the program.

    The second choice might make some sense for plugins where the wording of
    the output makes a substantial part of their "value". The program is
    GPLed, ergo its output, as a derived work of the code, should be GPLed as
    well. Of course, the application of GPL to a piece of text is somewhat
    tricky but it is possible:

    - the requirement to make the source code available can be interpreted
      as the requirement to make the text always available in a nonproprietary
      format (e.g. plaintext) (3)

    - anyone who receives a copy of the text is allowed to redistribute it,
      both in the original and in the modified form (2)

    - modified copies of the text must "carry prominent notices" stating
      they are modified (2c)

    etc. Also, should any other program reuse such a text, it would be
    considered to be a derived work of the text and consequently of the
    original plugin (and "infected" by GPL).

    Of course, this is what I myself find logical and reasonable. Lawyers,
    well known for understanding "logical" and "reasonable" in their own wierd
    ways, might disagree.

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."