Re: [Plugins-writers] Windows registry and filesize checks slow in NASL script

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 09:37:19 PST

    On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 04:38:10PM +0000, John Mummer wrote:
    > The script works fine (the administrator username and
    > password are specified in advance via Preferences),
    > but what surprises me is that execution takes
    > approximately 100 seconds against a single Windows NT
    > 4 target, even though all other plugin checks are
    > disabled.  I do, however, enable dependencies at
    > runtime.

    After reading the network trace you sent me, it seems that
    smb_login.nasl does take most of the time, as your Windows host takes
    up to three seconds per attempts. In addition to this, it also attempts
    NTLMv1 AND NTLMv2 authentication, which makes it even slower.

    The easy solution would be to modify smb_login.nasl to only use
    the provided password, however it would make it false negative against
    hosts whose administrator password is not set.

    				-- Renaud