[Plugins-writers] Need for find_service.nes

From: Alen Williams (alen.williams@private)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 15:11:44 PST

    Hey all,

    I'm trying to write (my first) a NASL script to detect Windows machines
    with modems configured and various other things. All of which I'm
    grabbing from the registry.

    I basically copied another script which has dependencies of:

    smb_login.nasl
    smb_registry_access.nasl
    netbios_name_get.nasl

    Now, all of this works just fine, but further down into the dependencies
    is find_service.nes. This is taking, according to the nessusd.messages
    file, about 22 seconds to complete! All the other tests are taking
    fractions of seconds, so this is a MAJOR bottleneck for me.

    I believe this plugin detects what services are on which port?

    Does this plugin actually need to be run if I'm only interested in port
    139??? What is it populating into the KB that other plugins such as
    ciffs445.nasl are not?

    Thanks.

    Alen.