[Plugins-writers] Plugin ID 11485

From: Scott Clowers (sclowers@private)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 12:59:45 PST

I am very new to Nessus and in the process of learning how to use it. I have
read the source for Plugin ID 11485 and have a question. Does this plugin
simply test for the existence of a certain Service Pack? In my case I am
testing a Windows XP Pro machine with Service Pack 1 and all the latest
updates that Windows Update installs. The scan identifies the vulnerability
this Plugin tests for. I have even downloaded the recommended patch and
applied it and then rescanned. The rescan still identifies this
vulnerability. So in reading the source for this plugin, I believe it is
just looking for SP2 on Win XP and if it doesn't find it, assumes the
machine is vulnerable.