Re: [Plugins-writers] Modification of Plugin 11033 to Supress Some Output

From: Jon Passki (cykyc@private)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 08:22:07 PST

--- Michel Arboi <mikhail@private> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 14:40 -0800, Jon Passki wrote:
> > I would like to remove the second, third, and forth conditional
> > statements above in Plugin 11033 (Misc information on News
> server)
> > since they are redundant and report information that isn't a
> > vulnerability.
>
> > I think it can be assumed that if the test occurs
> > but there are no results, then there is no vulnerability.
>
> security_note only displays information, not holes.
> And the first message is not really a flaw either. All NNTP
> servers at
> ISP allow unauthenticated connection... from their subscribers.

But security_note shouldn't display messages that state the service
is not vulnerable, correct?  I thought security_note and
security_warning were ways to assess the impact to the environment.
 One person's information warning may be another person's security
warning.  So, either way, the information should pertain to
security issues, not non-issues.

As for your second statement, that could be said about recursive
DNS, SMTP relaying, and HTTP proxying, etc.  Neither you nor I will
know if it's a risk or not until we understand if it is suppose to
be there and if it is properly configured.  In my particular case
above, the NNTP server is unnecessary, so it's an issue (albeit
low/informational).

Sincerely,

Jon