Re: [Plugins-writers] Modification of Plugin 11033 to Supress Some Output

From: Michel Arboi (mikhail@private)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 08:32:04 PST

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 08:22 -0800, Jon Passki wrote:
> But security_note shouldn't display messages that state the service
> is not vulnerable, correct?

Right

>   I thought security_note and
> security_warning were ways to assess the impact to the environment.

For me, it's rather to describe what was found. When you have a strict
policy about what should be running, a superfluous service should be
removed but cannot be considered exacty as a security hole.

> As for your second statement, that could be said about recursive
> DNS, SMTP relaying, and HTTP proxying, etc.

In a few scripts, we look if the IP address is public or private (RFC
1918). In the first case, we suspect that there is a problem.
Not perfect: a private IP may be accessed from outside through NAT.