Re: [Plugins-writers] "Automatic" Microsoft Bulletin Update via mssecure.xml from hfnetchk - yust an RFC

From: Nicolas Pouvesle (npouvesle@private)
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 06:08:21 PDT

On Sep 30, 2005, at 8:04 AM, David Möller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know the License and it's only a idea, but would it be
> possible
> to use mssecure.xml from the Hfnetchk Tool?

Yes, it would be possible ... but I don't think it would be legal to
do that.

> My point of view, after spending some time searching the CVS:
>
> Apart from the parsing-stuff only a Method for extracting the File
> Version (stored somewhere in the .EXE, .DLL, ... files ) and
> optionally
> for calculating the checksum, would be required.

I added file version check in all MS05-MS04-MS03-MS02 this week. So
if you do a scan with admin credentials (you need to connect to C$)
Nessus will do a file version check instead of a registry check to
detect if Microsoft patches are installed.