Re: [Plugins-writers] weird Qmail smtp error

From: George A. Theall (theall@private)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 17:37:30 PDT

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:43:04PM +1300, Jason Haar wrote:

> I'm running nessus-2.2.4 under CentOS and when scanning a Qmail SMTP
> server, the logfiles show entries like
>
> Not launching smtp_bypass_cisco.nasl against 1.2.3.4 because the key
> SMTP/qmail is present (this is not an error)
> Not launching smtp_program.nasl against 1.2.3.4 because the key
> SMTP/qmail is present (this is not an error)
>
> ...and yet the actual report generated makes no mention that it found a
> Qmail server - it just classifies it as "a SMTP server".

Are you sure it says "a SMTP server" rather than "An SMTP server is
running..."? The latter comes from find_service.nes while the only
reference I find to the former is in find_service2.nasl (and I've fixed
the grammatical error), although that's not for qmail.

> Shouldn't details of the type show up in the report?

As it's coded, smtpscan.nasl only generates a report if report verbosity
is set to verbose, report paranoia is paranoid, or experimental scripts
is enabled.

George
--
theall@private