Re: [Plugins-writers] Plugin Format

From: George A. Theall (theall@private)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 17:45:00 PDT

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 03:07:30PM -0500, Sarah Stevens wrote:

> I am trying to find out more about the information in the plugins and
> the format that they are going to take.  Is the "data" field in the XML
> file going to consistently be in the format of:
>
> Synopsis :
> Description :
> Risk Factor :
> CVE :

Last fall, we adopted a new format for plugin descriptions, including
sections  labelled "Synopsis", "Description", "See also", "Solution",
"Risk factor", and "Plugin output" in the basic description itself and
in addition using the CVSS base score for assigning a risk factor. The
XML output adds additional sections (eg, "CVE" and "BID"), as you note.

 > The reason that I am asking, is that I am noticing that some of the
 > plugins are not matching that format even today.  For instance, if you
 > look at the new plugin MDKSA-2006:080:clamav, (id 21320) it is not in
 > this format.  Also, if you look at plugin ID 10330, it is not in that
 > format.

Our intention is to use this new format for plugins that we or
third-parties write, and we have been doing that since October 2005. As
time permits, we are also updating older plugins and those generated
automatically from vendor security alerts. [The plugins you mention are
examples of these.]

George
--
theall@private