[Plugins-writers] Nessus 2.2.7 Reporting Inconsistency

From: Paul Bellefeuille (nessusd@private)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 13:47:13 PDT

Hello All,

I am currently running Nessus 2.2.7 on a Debian 3.1 platform. For the last several months, I have extensively QA Windows's base Nessus checks. I have come across a reporting inconsistency when running two of the same Nessus check against the same target.

My assumption of Nessus checks is that each unique script ID\file name is considered a unique Nessus check. For example Nessus Script ID: 18490 would be considered a unique Nessus check

I would take the original Nessus check (18490) and make two copies of it. The first copy I change the script ID to 7000100 and rename the file to threat1.nasl. The second copy I change the script ID to 7000200 and rename the file to threat2.nasl.

Test 1:

When I run script ID 7000100 by itself, the script reports correctly.

Test 2:

When I run script ID 7000200 by itself, the script reports correctly.

Test 3:

When I run both script ID 7000100 and 7000200, the report will only report on one of the script IDs. Nessus dump file does not report any problems and Nessus messages file show only running one script ID and not the other.

What would cause this reporting inconsistency?

Thanks,

Paul