Re: [Plugins-writers] Extracting info from the Windows registry

From: Doug Nordwall (raleel@private)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 06:39:08 PST

It should be along the lines of

computername = get_kb_item("
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerName");

which is where the name of the computer is kept.

you will likely need to have

script_require_keys("SMB/Registry/Enumerated");

somewhere at the beginning. Another way to handle it would be to do
something like what is found in the smb_reg_loginscreen.nasl script, which
is pretty much the exact same thing (querying a single key and getting a
value) only using System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName
as the key and "Computer Name" as the item

that's actually a pretty handy thing. Useful for writing some other things
like "why is your machine name and dns name not the same".

On 12/14/06, Morris, Philip (JSY) <Philip.Morris@private> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I have had many abortive attempts at trying to get report using the
> plug-in mentioned in " Sucking the Machine Name out of the Registry" from
> John Eder in 2004 .
>
> Does anyone actually have a plug-in that they care to share?  All I am
> trying to do is to extract the computer name from our Windows machines'
> registry to help with our AV audit that we run each week as our current
> naming resolution is a bit ....err .... umm .....on the flaky side ...
>
> Kind Regards
>

> Phil

Doug Nordwall
Unix, Network, and Security Administrator
Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if
she laid an asteroid. -- Mark Twain