FC: FBI director Louis Freeh says he'll retire

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 21:28:39 PDT

    **********

    Date: Tue,  1 May 2001 16:05:27 -0400
    From: " Scullyat_private" <Scullyat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: FBI DIRECTOR LOUIS J. FREEH  RETIRES

    http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel01/freeh050101.htm

    For Immediate Release
    May 1, 2001 Washington D.C.
    FBI National Press Office
    FBI DIRECTOR LOUIS J. FREEH TODAY MADE THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT:

    After 27 years, I have decided to retire from federal service and step down
    as FBI Director by the end of the school year in June. I want to thank my
    loving wife, Marilyn, and my six sons for allowing me to serve our Nation
    for over a quarter century. I announced my departure this morning at the
    annual conference of all of the FBI's Special Agents in Charge and senior
    managers.

    I wish to thank the 27,272 men and women of today's FBI, as well as all who
    have served the FBI over the years, and their wonderful families for their
    dedication and endless efforts in pursuit of justice under the Rule of Law.
    It has been my privilege to work with colleagues such as them who possess
    such a diverse range of talents. They are highly trained, technically
    competent law enforcement employees who, although often unheralded,
    routinely perform an extraordinary public service on behalf of the people
    they so proudly serve. I continually marvel at their accomplishments and
    their unselfish willingness to make personal sacrifices for the causes of
    public safety and national security.

    I want to thank President George W. Bush for his leadership and commitment
    to protecting this great Nation at home and abroad. I am deeply honored
    that he asked me to continue serving as Director and am proud to have been
    a part of his first 100 days in office. I am also grateful for the
    President's unwavering support of me and the FBI. President Bush has
    brought great honor and integrity to the Oval Office. It was equally an
    honor to be appointed by his father to serve as a federal judge.

    I also wish to thank Vice President Dick Cheney for conducting an effective
    transition process and for his dedication to duty in serving the Nation.
    Following extensive briefings by the FBI and other agencies, Vice President
    Cheney and his staff, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Secretary of Defense
    Donald Rumsfeld, National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, and theJoint
    Chiefs of Staff demonstrated decisiveness and leadership in quickly
    resolving a number of long-standing national security issues.

    I want to thank White House Chief of Staff, Andy Card, for his support and
    attention to critical issues involving public safety and national security.

    I am also grateful to Attorney General John D. Ashcroft for the strong
    support he has provided to the men and women of the FBI, and for his
    friendship. His efforts, combined with the work of his staff, will be
    critical in guiding the Department of Justice in the days ahead.

    I wish to thank former President Clinton for the honor and privilege of
    allowing me to serve the American people as the FBI Director.

    I further wish to thank former Attorney General Janet Reno for her
    friendship and support to the FBI, particularly in our expanded efforts to
    combat cyber-crime, terrorism, and international organized crime.

    I would like to thank the Congress for the support it has shown to the FBI
    during my tenure as FBI Director.

    When I became FBI Director on September 1, 1993, I came back to an
    organization that I first joined at age 25, when I became an FBI Agent
    after graduating from law school. The statement I made at the time of my
    nomination remains true today: "The FBI is the greatest organization for
    law enforcement ever created by democratic society."

    I am pleased with our many accomplishments during the almost eight years
    that I have served as Director.

    Among our accomplishments:

    Maintaining and re-emphasizing five core values for the men and women of
    the FBI:
    Rigorous obedience to the United States Constitution;
    Respect for the dignity of all those we protect;
    Compassion;
    Fairness; and,
    Uncompromising personal and institutional integrity.

    With the support of Congress, we have had the privilege of swearing-in
    5,029 new FBI Special Agents and hiring over 4,000 technical and
    professional employees. In addition, over 8,000 state, local, and foreign
    police leaders from all 50 states and from nations around the world have
    graduated from our 66 year old National Academy program.

    security, we have championed the cause of cooperative law enforcement
    action at all levels: local, state, federal, and foreign. Through the
    leadership of Director George Tenet, we have forged an unprecedented
    relationship with the men and women of the Central Intelligence Agency in
    the counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism arenas. Similarly, we place
    great importance on working cooperatively with individual agencies and
    national organizations, including the International Association of Chiefs
    of Police, the National Sheriffs' Association, the National Organization of
    Black Law Enforcement Executives, the National District Attorneys
    Association, and the National Association of Attorneys General. By
    multiplying our combined resources and thereby avoiding dysfunctional "turf
    wars," we have better fulfilled our mandate to protect the American people
    and made better use of the resources they have given !
    !
    to us. This, in turn, has enabled us to place greater emphasis on
    counter-intelligence, counter-terrorism, international organized crime,
    high-tech and economic crimes, civil rights violations, and crimes against
    children.

    As Director, I have traveled to 68 countries around the world and met with
    over 2,100 foreign leaders. At the same time, we have more than doubled the
    FBI's overseas presence -- now in 44 critical foreign locations -- in order
    to enhance cooperation with our foreign counterparts. We have also trained
    over 50,000 foreign police officers in policing under the Rule of Law at
    our Quantico Academy, at our International Law Enforcement Academy in
    Budapest, Hungary, and in countries around the world. These measures
    already have proven invaluable in the international fight against
    terrorism, organized crime, cyber-crimes, and transnational crimes in the
    Information Age.

    We have received the human, technical, and financial resources needed to
    keep the FBI at the cutting edge of investigations, particularly in the
    rapidly evolving area of cyber-crime. Over the nearly eight years that I
    have been Director, Congress has increased the FBI's budget by more than
    $1.27 billion to the 2001 Budget Appropriation level of $3.44 billion. That
    is a 58% increase over 1993's budget. At the same time, we have benefitted
    from laws that have strengthened our crime-fighting abilities, including
    the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, Anti-Terrorism laws,
    the Economic Espionage Act, and the Health Care Fraud Statute.

    Significantly, we have made dramatic strides in increasing the numbers of
    minorities and women who serve as Special Agents. If we are to succeed in
    our mission, we must have diversity in our ranks. Our priority on fairness
    has also resulted in significant increases in the number of minorities and
    women serving in high-level management positions in the Senior Executive
    Service. For example, during my tenure, three African-American men, four
    Hispanic men, one African-American woman, and one White woman were
    appointed as Assistant Directors -- the second highest rank in the career FBI.

    Consistent with the pledges I made when I began as FBI Director, we have
    kept the FBI free of political interference. That has enabled us to work
    solely in the public interest. As Director, I was often mindful of the
    words dating from 1924, when the Honorable Harlan F. Stone was Attorney
    General of the United States: "One of the cardinal rules ... was that the
    Federal Bureau of Investigation should be completely divorced from the
    vagaries of political influence."
    In closing, I want to reiterate what I previously stated: I have neither
    engaged in negotiations regarding any future employment nor have I
    requested others do so on my behalf while serving as Director. As for the
    future, I look forward to spending the summer with my family and engaging
    in new challenges.

    I want to thank my dear friend and colleague of over 20 years, Robert B.
    Bucknam, for his extraordinary service as my chief counselor and chief of
    staff. His immense skill, energy, and integrity have served our Nation for
    over 25 years. Bob has been principally responsible for the successful
    expansion and development of the FBI's overseas programs, an historic
    development for the FBI. The FBI and the Nation owe him and his lovely
    wife, Catherine, its sincere appreciation.

    I also want to thank Deputy Director Thomas Pickard for his outstanding
    service and leadership of the FBI over 25 years. His invaluable
    contributions to the Bureau and its employees, combined with his able
    stewardship, will continue to maintain this institution as the very best
    law enforcement agency under the Rule of Law.

    I want to thank my staff for their dedication and hard work during my tenure.

    In closing, I would again like to thank my wife, Marilyn, and my six sons,
    who now range from age three to sixteen, for their constant love, support,
    and sacrifices.

    Thank you.