FC: More on Echelon, intercepts, and a quick history lesson

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 07:07:37 PDT

    ********

    From: jonathan.winklerat_private
    Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:31:09 -0500
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Echelon exists and is not that bad, European Parliament
    cmte says

    Declan,

    <snip>
    In a 250KB draft report, the committee said that Echelon -- operated
    by English-speaking countries including the United States, Canada
    and
    Great Britain -- is designed for intelligence purposes but that no
    "substantiated" evidence exists that it has been used to spy on
    European firms on behalf of American competitors.
    <snip>

    David Kahn, author of Codebreakers, and I spoke last December at a
    conference at Yale about this question of signals intelligence for
    corporate espionage.  I had given a paper on allegations by US firms in
    the 1915-1921 period that the British were using their control of
    submarine telegraph cables to do the same thing.  With much less traffic
    relative to now, allegations and evidence was somewhat easier to come
    by.

    What David and I agreed upon, however, was that it would seem to be all
    but impossible for a US (or UK, in the earlier case) government agency
    to come up with a way to distribute the corporate intelligence equitably
    to the beneficiary companies.  If, for example, the US learned a French
    firm were going to bid low on an important contract, how on earth would
    it decide which US firm to provide the information to without the others
    spilling the beans?

    In the earlier case, intelligence historians are going to turn their
    attention to the British Board of Trade records to see what was going
    on. What sort of circumstantial evidence are the Europeans relying upon
    to bolster their case, have they any explanation for how difficult it
    would be to pass on such information, and how does the US refute it
    (beyond the usual 'no comment)?

    Regards,

    Jonathan Winkler
    PhD Candidate, Yale University
    Smithsonian Fellow, National Museum of American History

    **********

    My response:

    I respectfully disagree with Jonathan's position, at least as I understand
    it. Much has changed since the early 1900s, and the executive branch now is
    entirely capable of picking corporate favorites in the marketplace.

    Not only is this not unprecedented; it's common. Just look at the
    well-heeled Democratic-donating execs who bought their way on board Ron
    Brown's Commerce department excursions. Bush II is hardly any different.
    Just look at the recent flap over Republican-donating businessmen being
    feted at the White House and Naval Observatory
    (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/politics/917077).

    I admit that the NSA has a far greater interest in keeping its sources
    secret than the White House does in rewarding donors. And I have not seen
    reliable evidence showing Echelon intercepts are used in this manner. But
    saying that it is "impossible" for the executive branch to dole out
    information "equitably" seems to me misses the point: Modern politics is
    all about favorites -- and, as both major parties say, donor maintenance --
    not equitability.

    -Declan