FC: More on suing Microsoft for order blocking Windows XP shipments

From: Declan McCullagh (iat_private)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 13:25:41 PDT

    [Many politechnicals have sent along this link describing distributed
    denial of service attacks, which is relevant: http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
    --Declan]

    ********

    Date: 02 Jun 2001 12:26:58 -0400
    From: Jered Floyd <jeredat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Cc: steveat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Time to get restraining order against Windows XP for
    bad   security?

    Declan McCullagh <iat_private> writes:

     > Windows XP reportedly -- I have not verified this -- includes a
     > default configuration that permits IP spoofing. IP spoofing can
     > result in security breaches unless countermeasures such as
     > encryption are used.

    As well they should. Anything that increases the use of end-to-end
    security on the Internet is a good thing.  But, do tell me, how is
    this configuration any different from, oh, any UNIX-based operating
    system?  root users have been able to open raw sockets and spoof
    addresses for years and years.  Are Mr. Gibson and Mr. Crocker going
    to go on a crusade against all Linux distributions next?

    --Jered

    ********