FC: More on porn sites, CyberCash, and Virginia governor race

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 21:56:32 PDT

    Pat muses: "Sometimes I wonder why anyone of talent and intelligence is
    interested in politics." One possible answer: As a defensive measure?

    Background: http://www.politechbot.com/p-02129.html

    -Declan

    *********

    Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:12:01 -0400
    To: declanat_private, amicusat_private
    From: Pat Farrell <pfarrellat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Porn sites, CyberCash entangle Virginia candidates for
       governor
    Cc: pfarrellat_private

    At 12:59 AM 6/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:
    >Earley returned a campaign donation from Bruce Waldack; he's urging Warner
    >to return a donation from Bill Melton.... Earley apparently has it on good
    >authority that CyberCash's electronic payment services have been used by
    >(brace yourself) porn sites!

    As someone who worked at CyberCash for 3+ years, I can assure
    you that they didn't have nearly enough porn sites, or they would
    not have gone bankrupt. (I wish I could :-) but I can't...

     >>You might wish to make a note of these possible controversial
    entanglements, for disclosure >>as warranted by future political ambitions.

    This is really a serious observation. The Post's coverage was (1) boring
    and (2) indecipherable.

    What are the issues here? That character distruction is now easy?
    That giving to a campaign makes you a public figure?

    The fact is that CyberCash's highest volume merchants were porn sites.
    That is due not to CyberCash's brilliance, but rather to the simple fact that
    on today's net, nobody but porn sites are making money. What is equally true
    is that even selling services to the porn sites didn't make any real money.

    Melton drew no salary at CyberCash. The company made no money.
    Melton did make money on the IPO during the feeding frenzy. I sure wish I had
    gotten in on that....

    Sometimes I wonder why anyone of talent and intelligence is interested in
    politics.

    Pat