FC: AdultCheck orders sex-themed sites not to mention "Britney Spears"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 21:53:06 PDT

    *********

    Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:47:10 -0700
    From: "Da'ud X Mohammed" <webmasterat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: the Britney/Pepsi "deal"

    Hello Declan,

    The following FYI in the context of our fingers in the pie over at
    AdultCheck; to stay on the safe side of the Free Speech issue, and have
    the virtual bucks to back it if we ever get into trouble with
    censorship. The porn compananies, having the most to lose are on the
    front line AND have the resources to wage a winning battle; more so than
    CNN who would be likely to cave into censorship (as we have seen in
    their recent past).

    Slightly off-subject: While we (right thinking people) might not agree
    on what's black and what's white, we do agree on what's what. OCNS
    editorials reflect that; our writers are from all over the religious and
    political spectrum, and they're the best and most thoughtful writers on
    the Internet AND we don't necessarily agree editorially but we mutually
    respect nth degrees of honesty, and editorially the paper reflects that
    Freedom of Speech as a matter of policy.

    More or less on-subject: While at OCNS we don't have xxx-like sexual
    content, we do write on adult issues (politics, comedy, science, men's
    health, and so on), so intentionally we (try to) hear what's what and
    from time to time we get lucky.

    No where is it written that the Britney/Pepsi "deal" would protect her
    from becoming damaged goods, but business is business. I'm glad to see
    one of the recognized players in pornworld be responsible to common
    decency, for whatever their reason.

    Here's today's news from porno's never, ever land via the following e-mail...

    What next??

    With peace

    dxm