FC: Police arrest newspaper editor for criticizing Florida cops

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 19:32:56 PDT

    Police in Key West, Flordia have arrested a newspaper editor for printing
    an article that criticized an internal police investigation, according to
    an Associated Press report. This brutish action by police and prosecutors
    should be widely denounced.

    As of this afternoon, the Key West newspaper's site at kwest.com was still
    up (I read what appears to be one of the articles in question at
    http://kwest.net/~kwtn/local_news/01-06-15-KWTN-FDLE_Investigating_Police_Internal_Scandal.html).
    But while the server is still alive -- it responds to ping requests --
    connections to port 80 are now refused. Unfortunately, the article is no
    longer in my cache.

    It looks like the editor, Dennis Cooper, is being prosecuted for allegedly
    violating a state law. Under Florida law, it's a crime to disclose
    information about a police investigation -- even if you're the person who
    had filed a complaint alleging police wrongdoing, as Cooper seems to have done.

    You can find contact information for Key West officials here:
    http://www.keywestcity.com/directory.html
    http://www.keywestcity.com/depts/police/policetelephone.html

    I've copied the mayor, the chief of police, and other officials. If they
    would care to reply, I would be happy to extend them the usual courtesy of
    distributing their response unedited.

    If anyone puts up a mirror site with the article, please let me know. And I
    urge you to write to the city officials copied above. (BTW I have verified
    that the below article did run on the AP wire.)