FC: U.N. security investigating irate email from U.S. gun owners

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 10:40:12 PDT

    U.N. conference organizers to turn over the correspondence to U.N. internal
    security forces. The U.N. gun-summit began today, and -- see below --
    includes proposals for a global gun database, tracking of firearms,
    complaints about encryption and so on. What's interesting is that even this
    limited outcry was enough to prompt U.N. officials to make the appropriate
    "we're not trying to limit private ownership of guns," apparently
    backtracking from previous positions.

    Statement on U.N. meeting from Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and
    Bear Arms:
    http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/0601-139.html

    To see what kind of reaction the U.N. conference has provoked:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ae8ec916ace.htm

    http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2001/SmallArmsConfBrf.doc.htm

    http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2001/dc2782.doc.htm

    http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2001/dc2746.doc.htm

    http://www.un.org/Depts/dda/CAB/smallarms/files/2001conf2e.pdf
    >Furthermore, some of these activities are already
    >conducted by the brokers or other participants in the
    >chain of the illicit trade, by using e-commerce channels
    >and networks. This e-commerce is frequently encoded
    >or encrypted, thus placing an extra burden on the law
    >enforcement institutions to detect it.

    -Declan

    ********

    United Nations opens gun conference
    The United Nations opens a special session in New York focusing on the
    international market for small arms. The UN has already angered proponents
    of freedom with proposals to limit or prohibit private ownership of small
    arms. (07/09/01)

    UN investigating email from gun owners as 'threat'
    The United Nations is investigating whether irate letters and email from
    American gun enthusiasts protesting an upcoming conference on illicit trade
    in small arms constitute a security threat. The body has received about 100
    complaints from Americans "who erroneously believe the conference seeks to
    infringe on their right to bear arms," said a U.N. spokesman. (07/05/01)
    http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAFR56XSOC.html