FC: Georgia reportedly prosecuting man over distributed.net client

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 15:58:46 PDT

    [David probably means distributed.net, not distributedcomputing.net, which
    is not an active website. --Declan]

    *********

    Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 18:46:25 -0400
    To: ip-sub-1at_private
    From: David Farber <daveat_private>
    Subject: IP: A REAL stupid move by the State of Georgia' University System

    And here I thought Georgia was sane but it seems , and I have checked with
    David's lawyer,  tis is exactly as it reads. There is no more to this than
    the State of Georgia' University System punishing a professional for the
    reasonable use of unused spare computer cycles and network bandwidth for
    doing SCIENCE   It also seems that much of the claimed "misuse" occured
    during xmas break where computers and network usage are close to zero.

    I also found out that the Tenn Valley Authority is doing a similar thing
    against people running Seti on their systems.

    Is there any hope for sane behavior  on the part of what I thougfht was a
    progressive state.

    Dave