FC: Are "underskirt cams" video voyeurism or free speech?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 22:16:08 PDT

    This line from the opinion is particularly memorable:
    >Up-skirt video voyeurism is apparently a thriving internet business, with
    >about a hundred web sites devoted to up-skirt and other candid body shots
    >of unsuspecting female victims in public places.

    -Declan

    ********

    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=wa&vol=2001_app/19111-7&invol=3

    Filed July 5, 2001

    Washington's voyeurism statute, RCW 9A.44.115, prohibits the photographing
    of a person without that person's knowledge and consent in "a place where
    he or she would have a reasonable expectation of privacy." The statute then
    defines one such place as "[a] place where one may reasonably expect to be
    safe from . . . hostile intrusion . . . ." RCW 9A.44.115(1)(b)(ii). Sean T.
    Glas was caught photographing up women's skirts at a public shopping mall
    in Union Gap, Washington. The State charged him with violating the
    voyeurism statute. He claims the statute is constitutionally defective
    because it is vague (what is a hostile intrusion). He also argues that,
    looked at facially (not as applied to him), it is overbroad. We conclude
    that the statute passes constitutional muster. It is neither vague nor
    overbroad as applied here or facially. We therefore affirm Mr. Glas's
    conviction for violation of Washington's voyeurism statute.

    Sean T. Glas took photographs under the skirts of two women. Both were
    employees at the Valley Mall in Union Gap. The State charged him with two
    counts of voyeurism. The pertinent statute defines voyeurism as taking
    photographs for the sexual gratification of any person in a place where the
    subject has a reasonable expectation of privacy and without the subject's
    consent. RCW 9A.44.115(2). Mr. Glas argued that the women had no reasonable
    expectation of privacy in a public mall, and there was no evidence he was
    sexually aroused or gratified by his conduct. He moved to dismiss the
    prosecution. The court denied his motion.

    After a bench trial, the court found that Mr. Glas took photographs up each
    woman's skirt without her consent or knowledge. Each woman had "a
    reasonable expectation of privacy while at her workplace to be free from
    non-consensual photographing up underneath her skirt." Clerk's Papers (CP)
    at 47, 48. The court found the photographs were hostile intrusions that
    violated the privacy interest and expectation of the women and that the
    pictures were taken to arouse or gratify sexual desire on an internet web
    site.

    Mr. Glas was convicted of two counts of voyeurism. He appealed. Our
    commissioner refused to affirm on the merits based on the absence of prior
    judicial interpretation of the voyeurism statute and Mr. Glas's
    constitutional challenge.

    The Statute A person commits the crime of voyeurism if, for the purpose of
    arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person, he or she knowingly
    views, photographs, or films another person, without that person's
    knowledge and consent, while the person being viewed, photographed, or
    filmed is in a place where he or she would have a reasonable expectation of
    privacy.

    Up-skirt video voyeurism is apparently a thriving internet business, with
    about a hundred web sites devoted to up-skirt and other candid body shots
    of unsuspecting female victims in public places. Professionals employed by
    these sites and amateur contributors are part of a cottage industry of
    stalking and secretly filming victims and disseminating the images on the
    internet. David D. Kremenetsky, Insatiable "Up-Skirt" Voyeurs Force
    California Lawmakers to Expand Privacy Protection in Public Places, 31
    McGeorge L. Rev. 285, 287 (2000).