FC: Politech photos: Internet World, SF, *next* Spielberg movie

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 22:26:59 PDT

    I'm in Las Vegas for Defcon. I came by way of Chicago, and stopped by
    Internet World briefly while I was there. It was deserted -- a far cry from
    46,000 attendees at one IW convention last year -- see my photos:
       http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,45198,00.html

    Wayne Madsen, a Politech irregular and muckraking reporter, recently
    slipped into the set of the *next* Spielberg movie, which is being filmed
    in Washington, DC. It's called Minority Report and involves the U.S.
    Department of Precrime, which prosecutes suspects (in this case Tom
    Cruise's character) for crimes they plan to commit. Photos from the set:
       http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/minority-report-filming-june01.html

    John Sonderman, another Politechnical, has photos here:
       http://www.sonderman.org/gallery/album08

    When I was in the SF area last month, the only camera I brought was my
    Nikon Coolpix 950. Now, I've railed against digital cameras in the past, or
    at least non-professional ones
    (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,33244,00.html), but the 950 is
    a reasonably decent consumer-grade model, so I thought it would be worth a
    test.

    The results were mixed. The 950's macro abilities are excellent:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/flower-closeup-1.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/flower-closeup-2.html

    And it handled colors accurately:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/sf-museum-of-modern-art.html

    Photos in shade or soft sunlight turned out well, even very well:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/eroded-shoreline-2.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/fishermans-wharf-pier.html

    But harsh sunlight photos were awful. Either the glare nearly ruined the
    image -- digital cameras really need lens hoods -- or the sun washed out
    the screen so much it was difficult to keep the camera level with the horizon:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/no-sex-until-marriage.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/driftwood.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/pigeon-point-lighthouse.html

    You can see all the images here:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-22/

    Also, I've put some photos up for a friend who's traveling in Africa:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/susie-gibbs-africa-2001.html

    One is especially remarkable:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/susie/great-ape.html

    I have the Canon D30 at Defcon.