FC: Microsoft threatens children's charities over Windows fees

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 22:40:50 PDT

    [I invite Microsoft, copied above, to reply. --Declan]

    *********

    Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:58:59 +1000
    From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochraneat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Microsoft suing free PC programs

    Hi Declan

    I checked the term "rapacious blood suckers" in the dictionary and
    Microsoft wasn't mentioned. Not surprising; it was the Encarta desk
    reference.

    We've just heard that a Victorian charity, PCs for Kids, has this week
    received threatening telephone calls late at night from Microsoft's
    Australian legal counsel. Apparently PCs for Kids has been distributing
    PCs to the poor and disadvantaged without paying the Microsoft tax
    (Windows licence); about $200 a machine, I am told. I also heard MS told
    the charity not to speak to the media.

    Background news reports on the charities:
    http://it.mycareer.com.au/networking/19991130/A5409-1999Nov29.html
    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1999-03-15-002-09-PS

    NOIE charity site:
    http://www.onlineaustralia.net.au/projects/access/online_access/subsidised_comp.htm

    Our reporters are looking into this now, but if it is true, it shows the
    depths this rapacious company is willing to dredge. It's all the more
    surprising given how MS in the US is trying to appear warm and fuzzy.

    Most Australian PC distribution charities, such as Computerbank, use
    Linux and open source to get away from this problem. I don't know why
    PCs for Kids doesn't.

    You may recall that Windows Refund Day started when Adelaide man,
    Geoffrey Bennett, had the temerity to demand that Toshiba Australia Pty
    Ltd honor the terms of its software license and refund the cost for an
    unwanted MS Windows.

    http://hugin.imat.com/refund/coverage.html
    http://it.mycareer.com.au/breaking/916904790.html

    Even the state and territory education departments are starting to see
    the benefits of steering clear of Microsoft. The Northern Territory
    education department has awarded a local business and IBM the lion's
    share of a five-year $A30 million contract to supply 4000 desktop PCs
    and 200 xSeries servers running Red Hat Linux, Samba and other Free
    Software apps. The desktops will use Windows, but run Sun Microsystems'
    Star Office. No final decision has been made but MS Office looks likely
    at this stage to be relegated to an interchange player.

    http://www.latis.nt.edu.au/

    Trinity College at the University of Melbourne, uses Free Software
    almost exclusively.

    http://it.mycareer.com.au/news/2001/06/05/FFX9ZT7UENC.html

    cheers

    Nathan