FC: More on Microsoft threatening charities over Windows fees

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 21:09:29 PDT

    Original Politech message:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02261.html

    For the record, I never heard back directly from Microsoft.

    -Declan

    *********

    *********

    Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:50:18 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Nathan Cochrane <fairfaxitat_private>
    Subject: Microsoft's response to PCs for Kids
    To: declanat_private

    Hi Declan

    The story published in the paper today, from Garry
    Barker:

    http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/2001/07/14/FFXAPVFU2PC.html

    In a letter this week to Colin Bayes, the founder and
    president of PCs for Kids, Vanessa Hutley, Microsoft's
    corporate attorney in Sydney, said: "You have
    acknowledged that your practices ... of hard-loading
    the software on to PCs is an infringement of
    Microsoft's copyright ... Microsoft must insist that
    you find some other source of software ..."

    Ms Hutley told The Age that Microsoft required that
    PCs for Kids "work with its donors" to obtain
    individual licences, CDs and manuals for each machine.

    "That would cost us up to $600 per machine. We don't
    have that kind of money," said Mr Bayes. "I think this
    is a case of greed and double-dipping. These are old,
    secondhand machines, donated to us for charitable
    purposes."

    *********