FC: Massachusetts high court rules against man who taped abusive cops

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 05:52:03 PDT

    This is a fascinating case. The majority said that unless they ruled as
    they did, "every police encounter would be available for secret recording."
    (As if anything was wrong with that.) Welcome to the latest conflict
    between technology and the law.

    Technology will win this footrace, at least in the long run. As recording
    devices fall in price and size, they'll become increasingly commonplace.
    Perhaps a next-generation privacy company will build a device that streams
    its recording to a remote site wirelessly, so even if it's smashed by
    police or lawbreakers, its data will survive. Or perhaps a next-generation
    justicefiles.org will allow victims of police brutality to anonymously post
    their recordings of police misconduct next to other information about that
    particular law enforcement officer.

    At Defcon this weekend, I asked a group of four or five law enforcement
    officials what they thought about the idea of having shouldercams that
    they'd be required to wear when they interrogate suspects or conduct
    interviews or perform other official duties. The recordings would be
    released after five years or when the trial was over and appeals exhausted.
    Needless to say, they weren't very receptive to the idea.

    -Declan

    *********