FC: Australian charity replies to Politech post on Microsoft threats

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 09:59:38 PDT

    And a response from a sympathetic-to-Microsoft Politech member:
    >Jesus Declan even on it's face, this is ridiculous, isn't it? am I
    >missing something? They're stealing software because they can't afford
    >it and Microsoft is the bad guy?

    Previous Politech articles on this topic:

    ********

    From: Adam Nash <adamat_private>
    Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 04:06:52 GMT
    Subject: Re: Microsoft threatens children's charity
    To: declanat_private
    CC: ncochraneat_private,
             "Gesie Di Sciascio" <gesieat_private>

    Hi Declan,
    I work for com.IT (Community IT Project) in Melbourne. We recycle old,
    unwanted and unused computers and redistribute them for free to
    community groups and non-profit organisations, as well as providing IT
    skills training to unemployed and disadvantaged members of the
    community, and technical support to community organisations. Our
    website is currently being updated, but a rather outdated site is
    available at
    http://www.vicnet.net.au/~comit

    I would like to relate our experiences as regards licensed software.
    We have given out over 500 computers and monitors to some 62
    organisations in the last 18 months alone. The problem that we have
    always faced is that we can give away the computers but we cannot load
    Windows onto the computer unless the recipient has a valid license.
    A very valid point that you raised was Why Not Load Linux? I myself am
    a committed Linux user (for two reasons: I like getting my work
    actually done, and I am a dyed-in-the-wool Knowledge-Is-Power worker
    and believe that open source is the only practical course to a more
    equitable world - I am typing this mail in StarOffice on RedHat 7.1),
    but the large majority of the computers we receive are very low-end:
    mainly 386 and 486 machines. The unfortunate fact is that nearly all
    of our recipients, being non-technical people who only want a computer
    to do admin etc, want a windowed environment, but Xwindows (as much as
    I love it) will not run on anything less than a Pentium with 32Mb of
    RAM and a 2Mb video card (and even then it will groan). ComputerBank,
    who you mentioned in the article, know this and therefore tend to work
    only with Pentium-level machines.

    Consequently we refer most of our recipients to the Microsoft
    Community Assistance Initiative, whereby MS will donate licenses to
    community organisations up to a value of $10,000 (approx 130
    licenses). This way-less-than-ideal situation is the only practical
    solution for most of our recipients.

    Of course, there are various different approaches to this Xwindows
    problem (most significantly XDM and Beowulf, both of which we are
    continuing to investigate, especially for the organisations in the
    third world from whom we are receiving an increasing number of
    requests. We also have had limited success using BlackBox, and we are
    also investigating this further), but the vast majority of our
    recipient organisations run on a shoestring budget with a volunteer
    staff of one or two non-technical people who are already overworked
    and therefore have no time to learn the intricacies of such
    technologies.

    For ourselves, we have never been so naïve as to think that our
    registered charity status would make Microsoft ignore unlicensed
    copying and distribution of their software, and consequently have
    always operated strictly within the law on this issue. In fact, we are
    so sensitive to it (we are in the business of helping small
    organisations, not battling corporate behemoths) that we use FreeDOS
    (www.freedos.org) to boot up the recycled machines, and so that the
    recipients can install their licensed copy of Windows with a minimum
    of hassle. Naturally, we provide help with installation to those that
    can't do it themselves.

    One day, we will live in a world where corporations take
    responsibility for their impact on society, but until that day comes
    it makes sense to operate within the law (whether one considers the
    law fair or not) using practical solutions, so as to continue to help
    the needy sectors of our community.
    I hope this mail is a positive contribution to this discussion.
    Feel free to contact me if you require any more information on our
    organisation.
    Yours,
    Adam Nash
    adamat_private