FC: American Family Association steps up Yahoo attack, reply from annoy.com

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 10:25:27 PDT

    Following is:
    1. A press release this week from the American Family Association (they
    apparently won't give up until Yahoo shuts down any group that is offensive)
    2. Comments from annoy.com's Clinton Fein
    3. Other responses

    Background:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=trueman

    -Declan

    *********

    AMERICAN
    FAMILY
    ASSOCIATION  ____________________________________
                                                                           Washington,
    D.C. Office
                                                                     PRESS RELEASE
                                                                     Contact:
    Patrick Trueman
                                                                             (202)
    544-0061

    For Immediate Release                                            July 16, 2001

    YAHOO! HELPS CHILD MOLESTERS, CHILD PORN TRADERS,
    AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOC. SAYS

    "Yahoo! is providing a free service on its own servers that helps
    pedophiles find children to rape and traders of child pornography to
    exchange illegal photos," said Patrick A. Trueman of American Family
    Association.  Through its "Child Pornography Crimes Members Directory"
    Yahoo! facilitates these illegal and despicable practices," he added.  On
    the directory, members list their Yahoo! I.D. Clicking on the I.D. opens up
    the members' personal Yahoo! profile, which includes information that the
    member has posted.  This includes, solicitations for sex with children and
    for child pornography, an e-mail address, often a sexually explicit photo
    of the member, a list of the members' favorite Yahoo! sex clubs and other
    Yahoo! member directories of interest.

    One member, a male, 37, indicates his interests include incest & pedophilia
    and says he is "looking for wife with whom I can start an incest
    family."  Another lists his occupation as "child porn addict," and says his
    hobbies are exchanging child porn by e-mail and having sex with his
    daughter.  Another man makes the following solicitation: " Mom, dad, and
    daughter looking for a young girl to play with us. How young? Try it and
    see."

    Yahoo! should get out of the business of facilitating child rapists and
    child pornographers," Trueman said.  "Yahoo! should immediately close its
    Child Pornography Crimes Members Directory, he added.

    AFA is starting an online petition this week (www.afa.net) urging Yahoo! to
    clean up its site,
    according to Trueman.  Trueman is AFA's director of governmental affairs,
    and was chief of the Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Criminal
    Division, U.S. Department of Justice, from 1988 to 1992.

                          227 Massachusetts Avenue, N.E., Suite
    302,  Washington, D.C. 20002
       (202) 544-0061, fax (202) 544-0504

    *********