FC: Replies to $18 billion agency from Wired's Platt, NPR's Karr

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 15:17:27 PDT

    "Ex-PBS and FCC chiefs want $18 billion new agency, WSJ says"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02296.html

    **********

    Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Charles Platt <cpat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Cc: <politechat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Ex-PBS and FCC chiefs want $18 billion new agency, WSJ sa

    No doubt many "worthy" groups would eagerly embrace funding for their web
    sites. I just hope that everyone looks ahead to the next step, after the
    funding is received. Generally, this will involve some kind of control,
    either overt or covert. You don't get money for nothing, from the federal
    government. At the very least, groups receiving "content grants"  will
    have to follow disability access guidelines. Banner ads for worthy causes
    such as D.A.R.E. may be mandatory. Pornography, of course, may be taboo.
    Online text advocating the overthrow of whatever government happens to be
    in power may be unwelcome.

    PBS has suffered relatively little of this kind of thing, but its charter
    was established in very different times. We live in the era when scripts
    for sitcoms were evaluated to determine whether they included the right
    spin on issues such as drugs.

    When you have a government big enough to give you all you want, it will be
    big enough to take it all away. This Goldwater aphorism cannot be repeated
    often enough.