FC: FBI hit with Sircam virus that distributes files on your HD

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 15:30:09 PDT

    CERT has (ahem, finally) released a Sircam advisory this afternoon:

    Sircam is an amazingly noxious critter. I'll give you an example. At Wired
    News, like other news organizations, we have feedback addresses so people
    can send us thoughts on articles. Those have been the same for at least
    three years, so they're well-known and available to programs like Sircam
    that scan hard drives for email addresses.

    Since 1 am ET Tuesday, we've received about 150 MB of mail directed at
    those addresses, the vast bulk of it Sircam output. A quick scroll through
    the messages says about 90 percent of it by message and probably 99 percent
    of it by size is due to Sircam.

    Dave Farber wrote on his Interesting People list:

    >The person/group who launched the SirCam virus should get the first
    >Cyberspace death-- namely permanent banishment from any network access any
    >place in the world. We yell endlessly about spam mail but one mess like
    >this makes spam mail almost interesting

    Which I heartily endorse.

    -Declan

    *********