FC: IHS' Damon Cheston on creating $18 billion federal content agency

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 22:35:23 PDT

    [Damon is the program director at the Institute for Humane Studies at
    George Mason University. He's responding to Rick Karr's note at
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02303.html -- if Rick cares to reply, I'll
    give him the last word. --Declan]

    ---

    From: "Damon Chetson" <dchetsonat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: Replies to $18 billion agency from Wired's Platt, NPR's Karr
    Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:32:17 -0400

    Declan,

    I take issue with Mr. Karr's assumption that because reporting "ain't
    cheap", the government has to step in to do it.  Karr assumes that the kind
    of programming on NPR cannot be provided for voluntarily in a free market -
    hence his statements about MSNBC and CNN.  So, instead, he argues that all
    people should be forced to pay for programming via tax money that only a few
    people actually use.  (Indeed, if more people used it, advertising would
    cover the cost in Karr's scenario).

    It's always interesting to hear people define the "public good" and then
    insist that people should be forced to supply it through tax money.  Usually
    their conception of the "public good" includes all sorts of things they
    personally like and benefit from.  In fact, all sorts of activities - from
    exercise to eating fruit to philosophizing about the role of government -
    contribute to the public good.  Does that mean that government ought to
    provide them?

    I'm all for foundations supporting the arts, Mr. Karr's NPR, and, of course,
    my philosophizing about the role of government since that money is
    contributed voluntarily by people who care about those issues.  I think we
    need to be skeptical of ANY attempt to use taxpayer dollars since at root
    tax money is the result of coercion.

    Finally, there's an interesting public choice question to consider here.
    Once started through government money, will this National Web Institute (or
    whatever) ever die?  Not likely since once the institute is staffed and
    budgeted, it will take on a life of its own regardless of the continued
    importance of its mission.

    Best,

    Damon Chetson

    ** You can post this if you think it's worthwhile **