FC: Court denies DOJ request to block filtering lawsuit; correction

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 22:33:13 PDT

    News coverage:

    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/168404.html
    Court Rejects Govt. Move To Toss Net Porn Filtering Case

    *********

    PRESS STATEMENT
    John W. Berry
    President, American Library Association

    (CHICAGOJuly 26, 2001) Less than 72 hours after hearing arguments, the
    three-judge panel of the United States District Court for the Eastern
    District in Philadelphia denied the government's Motion to Dismiss.
    The American Library Association and its 63,000 members are pleased the
    court ruled that we will have our day in court on this most vital
    issue.  We firmly believe mandatory filtering is misguided and unworkable
    in the context of a public institution.
    The American Library Association filed suit against the Children's Internet
    Protection Act in the United States District Court for the Eastern District
    on March 20, 2001.  Plaintiffs in the suit include libraries, library
    users, state library associations and the Freedom to Read Foundation.
    People for the American Way is serving as supporting counsel.
    The case is American Library Association, Inc., et al. v. United States,
    et. al., No. 01-CV-1303.  The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a
    similar challenge; the two cases have been consolidated by the court and
    will be heard together.
    For more information, call the American Library Association's Public
    Information Office at 312-280-5043.  Attached below is the language from
    the court's memorandum and order.

    -30-

    IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
    FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA

    AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION,
    INC., et al.
    v.
    UNITED STATES, et al.						NO. 01-1303

    MULTNOMAH COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY, et al.
    v.
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, et al.				NO. 01-1322

    MEMORANDUM AND ORDER
    July 26, 2001

    	A motion to dismiss the complaint under Fed.R.Civ.P.12(b)(6) addresses
    only the sufficiency of a plaintiff's pleading.  After careful
    consideration of the pending motions and responses, we have concluded that
    plaintiffs' complaints in these actions contain enough factual allegations
    to withstand dismissal.  Plaintiffs are entitled to an opportunity to prove
    their allegations.  It is therefore Ordered:
    	That the defendants' Motions to Dismiss the Complaints are denied.

    Edward R. Becker, Ch. J.
    John P. Fullam, Sr. J.
    Harvey Bartle III, J.

    *********

    [David is responding to: http://www.politechbot.com/p-02298.html which I
    titled "Philadelphia judges OK library filtering case for 2002 trial," a
    headline that was about 72 hours premature. --DBM]