FC: "Jam Echelon Day" resurfaces, scheduled for October 21

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 09:08:41 PDT

    [I strongly suspect this is more valuable as a publicity stunt than as a
    serious exercise, but perhaps I'm just being a wet blanket. --Declan]

    *********

    Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 10:41:06 -0700
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: Michael Teetering <teeteringat_private>
    Subject: Jam Echelon Day  ~ Part II

    Declan,
        There is a group of us resurrecting the Jam Echelon effort from 1999. I
    have pasted in the appropriate information below for your consideration.
        We would love to have you lend a hand in getting the message out. This
    is primarily a movement designed to bring the existence of Echelon into the
    public forum from a different angle.
        We hope you will see it as a worthy effort and choose to assist us.
    Sincerely,
                        - - - Michael Teetering

    Our Mission Statement:

    Jam Echelon Day - October 21, 2001

    Mission Statement

    The primary goal of Jam Echelon Day 2001 is to raise public awareness of
    the existence of Echelon and stimulate scrutiny of the world's government
    agencies that operate it.

    We are offering substantial resources for people to educate themselves
    about Echelon and what it is capable of.  This is an educational campaign
    sponsored by concerned netizens that value personal privacy and firmly believe
    that everyone has a right to privacy without government intrusion.

    The 2001 "Jam Echelon" campaign has kept the name of it's 1999 predecessor
    both to honor a great idea and to state an ideal. We acknowledge that the
    current level of technology being utilized by the Echelon group far exceeds
    our ability to actually impact it in this manner. We do not intend, nor do we
    encourage attempting to overload Echelon's surveillance systems with spam.

    In the past, different organizations and individuals have sent out mass
    emailings using "keywords" designed to trigger Echelon's filters. In reality,
    it is unknown if this tactic actually jammed up Echelon's systems but it is
    likely
    that this would only produce an abundance of Echelon related spam and be
    counter productive. It is our opinion that more can be accomplished by sending
    people to one of the Jam Echelon mirrors for information.

    Our recommendation for action on October 21st is for you to email everyone
    on your
    personal mailing list informing them of the existence of Echelon. Then,
    direct them
    to one of the "Jam Echelon" sites for further information. Include some of the
    "keywords" in your email; it can't hurt. Who knows? We might get lucky.

    An informed populace is an empowered populace.

    Press Release:

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

    CONTACT:
    Scully:   Scullyat_private or
    Michael Teetering:    Teeteringat_private

    Global Monitoring System, ECHELON, has its day. Jam Echelon Day October 21st

    THE INTERNET - July 25, 2001 - A large group of individuals in the Global
    Internet Community have set out to bring attention to the communications
    monitoring system known as ECHELON.

    Two years ago, when this idea was launched, the existence of ECHELON was
    denied by all of the participating agencies. Now with the recent issuing of
    the report by the "Temporary Committee on the ECHELON Interception System"
    its existence and invasive practices are no longer in doubt.

    We are urging all persons who utilize any form of global communication to
    inform their circle of friends regarding ECHELON and its monitoring of all
    email, telephone and fax communications in Europe. Along with this we are
    urging the inclusion of as many 'trigger words' within those communications
    as possible.

    To this end, we have established a primary web site at:
    http://cipherwar.com/echelon and numerous mirror sites around the world to
    help educate people about ECHELON and what it really means to the Global
    community at large.

    October 21st has been designated "JAM ECHELON DAY" and on that day we are
    encouraging email messages to be sent out in great numbers, containing as
    many 'trigger words' as possible. (There is a list of 1700 on the web
    site.) While the goal of "jamming up" ECHELON is a lofty and likely
    unattainable one, is it not better to signal displeasure at being monitored
    than passively allow it to happen? We think so.

    Now is a chance for anyone, regardless of computer expertise, to become an
    instant hacktivist - and all you need is your regular email program.

    After October 21st, we ask global netizens to merely stop censoring
    themselves for fear of scrutiny. If the bulk of monitored hits becomes too
    great, the effective-ness will drop to the insignificant. A proverb from
    Madagascar states; "Cross the river in a crowd and the crocodile won't eat
    you." Although that may not be completely true, we invite you to join us.

    # # #

    --
    --

    ==========MIRRORS AS OF 7/25==================